My posts contain affiliate and/or referral links at no additional cost to you. To read the full disclosure, please click here.
Have you tried the Ibotta app yet? The app that gives you money for purchases you would have made anyway? If not, then you're really missing out!
Ibotta is a smartphone app you can use to earn money back on purchases at real stores where you normally shop, for real items that you probably already buy. Yes, there are plenty of apps out there that claim to give you money back, but they're for obscure stores or products you'd never in a million years purchase. Though store options may vary on Ibotta given the season or geographic location, you'll recognize most national grocery chains along with large national retailers like Walmart and Target, as well as online retailers like Overstock and even Amazon. Even eBay is on there!
Here's how it works:
- Download the Ibotta app to your smartphone and sign up for an Ibotta account (Sign up with one of the links in this post and you'll even get a bonus $10 in your Ibotta account to start you out!)
- Scroll through the list of available stores to see which ones you frequent
- When you are going to go shopping at one of the available stores, scroll through the current list of money back deals on Ibotta and select the ones you want to receive money back on
- Be sure to pay attention to any special instructions necessary when making a qualifying purchase
- Save you receipt and when you are done shopping, for those that require it, you'll submit photographs of your full receipt to the Ibotta app, scan the bar codes on your special items and you'll receive money back into your account for the special items you purchased
- Once you hit a minimum of $20 in money back in your Ibotta account, you can cash out!
The first couple of times you try to use the Ibotta app, you'll likely be a little bit confused. Ibotta does have a bit of a learning curve to grasping how everything works, but you'll get the hang of it. A few things to make note of:
- Not all Ibotta money back deals are available at all retailers: Target may have specials that Walmart will not and vice versa
- Ibotta deals change frequently: While some deals hang out a while, other deals come and go quickly, so a money back option that is currently in Ibotta may get yanked two weeks later
- Available stores via Ibotta also change: Some stores are in there all the time, others come and go. I used to go to Joann Fabrics constantly for the money back on their paint, but then the store disappeared as an option altogether 🙁
- Some Ibotta money back coupons repopulate: Once you use a money back option, it's not necessarily gone forever. Some of them will show back up to be reused in a day or two.
Ibotta also gives special bonuses if you make a minimum number of qualifying purchases in a set amount of time, or with certain retailers that are running promotions. If you can be strategic in your shopping and create a plan of attack, you can really make bank with the extra bonuses on top of your regular money back.
Through regular purchases that I would have made anyway and by collecting some receipts from friends and family who didn't use the app, I've made back $483.86 on the Ibotta app just between mid-February 2018, when I first began using the app, and the date of this post. That's not bad if you ask me!